In today's wedding world, many people are opting for a non-traditional caterer, such as a food truck, wood fired pizza, taco cart or food from their favorite restaurant. While I love the creativity and diversity of cuisine, there is a very important distinction between a caterer and a team who simply makes the food.
For an event, you need to make sure that the caterer of your choice not only provides the meal but also has the service staff to set up, prep, serve, and clean up the entire wedding day. Some caterers only bring the food, in which case you will need to make sure to hire a separate service staff to be there throughout the duration of the event. So before you think you will be saving thousands by only hiring a food cart for your wedding, make sure to ask these questions to ensure that you will have a successful catering experience:
- Do they offer family style, buffet, and/or plated service?
- Do they have their own service staff? Will that staff serve apps/drinks and bus table or offer wine service?
- Will their team do the full set up of dinner tables, chairs, linens, glassware, flatware, dinnerware and napkin fold?
- Do they have their own bartending services? Does that bartender provide glassware, set up, mixers, and alcohol?
- Do they offer coffee/tea?
- Are kid or vendor meals discounted?
- What rentals are included? (Glassware, flatware, dinnerware, platters, serving dishes, etc.)
- If they don't provide rentals, will they rinse all the rentals at the end of the night and put them away for rental pick up?
- Are cake cutting fees included?
- Do they have liability insurance?
- Do they bring trash bags and pack up and take the trash at the end of the night?
- Will they stay for cleanup of all items at the end of the night?
With these questions, you will be sure to be fully informed before you choose your caterer.
Ask any questions below!